Nettex Launch Virocur Defra Approved Disinfectant – supporting chicken owners through the Avian Influenza outbreak
The risk of Avian Influenza is a significant concern for UK backyard chicken owners, with over 60,000 birds currently affected at 7 locations for captive birds, with a further 15 locations for cases in wild birds across the UK  
Due to the rise in number of cases, and to reduce the risk of disease in your flock, it is imperative that backyard chicken owners follow the Biosecurity advice from the Animal and Plant Health Authority (APHA), including
- Maintaining high hygiene standards through the use of DEFARA-approved disinfectants
- Staying up to date with the latest advice from DEFRA regarding poultry management and housing restrictions coming into force from Monday 14th This means it is a legal requirement for all bird keepers to keep their birds indoors and to keep them separated from wild birds.
Nettex Poultry DEFRA Approved Virocur disinfectant – Here to help
To support backyard chicken keepers Nettex have launched Virocur, a peroxygen based, broad spectrum disinfectant powder. Use diluted to disinfect poultry housing and equipment, it is DEFRA approved for Foot and Mouth, Swine Vesicular Disease, Diseases of Poultry and General Orders. Virocur can be used to clean housing, equipment, drinkers and feeders and it can also be used as an effective boot dip – helping you adhere to the latest advice to help keep your flock healthy and happy.
Nettex Virocur is part of the Nettex Poultry Hygiene range and comes in a 1kg tub with an RRP of £22.00* helping you to ensure that you have plenty to hand during the difficult months ahead.
*Including VAT. Please note that prices may vary depending on retailer.
Tips for keeping your flock safe:
- Clean footwear when tending to birds – use Nettex Virocur Disinfectant as a boot dip
- Minimise movement in and out of enclosures
- Humanly control rats and mice
- Disinfect hard surfaces regularly with Nettex Virocur Disinfectant
- Clean and disinfect vehicles that come into contact with poultry
- Place your bird’s food and water in enclosed areas away from wild birds
- Remove any spilled feed regularly
- Keep your birds separate from wild life and wild water fowl
- Fence of areas of standing water and put netting over ponds
- Keep ducks and geese in separate buildings to other poultry species
- Register your birds at www.gov.uk/poultry-registration
- Keep up to date with government advice, sign via up for SMS or email alerts at https://www.gov.uk/guidance/apha-alert-subscription-service
- Keep your birds healthy by supplementing their drinking water with Nettex Vit Boost Tonic daily
- Use Nettex Ground and Bedding Sanitising Powder to clear the ground and bedding of worm eggs and bacteria
- Spray any eggs collected with Nettex Sanitiser and Egg Wash Solution
- Keep Nettex Anti-Feather Pecking Spray to hand to protect the flock from any birds who develop a pecking habit during confinement
 BFREPA, “EMAIL: Avian Influenza Update,” 2020
 APHA, “Guidance: Avian INfluenza,” [Online]. Available: https://www.gov.uk/guidance/avian-influenza-bird-flu#latest-situation. [Accessed 04 12 2020].