Your Questions: Answered
What do I need to do to improve my biosecurity?
- The run should be covered to prevent wild bird droppings from being washed in.
- Restrict access to your birds.
- Boot dip on entry and exit (using a DEFRA Approved disinfectant, such as Nettex Poultry Virocur Disinfectant) and use footwear which is only used in your chicken run.
- Disinfect feeders and drinkers regularly.
- Use fresh tap water for your birds’ drinkers – not water from a water butt, which could contain wild bird faeces in the run-off.
- Be prepared for a full Protection Zone lockdown, and register on the DEFRA/APHA site to receive email updates from them.
- Keep a daily record of your birds health, diet, medications, and visitors.
- Prevent the accumulation of standing water and clean up any spilled feed that could attract wild birds and/or vermin.
- Humanely control rats and mice. Keep dogs, cats and other livestock out of poultry housing.